Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I am puting myself through Home-Ec

I feel like a stripper puting herself through med school. Some days my job is so daunting, I'm saying...oh no, don't look at me like that, this isn't permenant, I just work here so I can put myself through home-ec school. That's the thing about working in sales, you feel guilty for being good at it. Usually you are doing well at someones expense. In a perfect world it is symbiotic, but I live in a realistic world. A cynical world anyway. Which is why I crave the 50's comfort of home-ec. I know, I know the 50's weren't a good time for everyone, segregation, political strife, not to mention, I sure am glad to not be chained to a radiator. I do have to wonder though, in women's quest for it all, did we lose everything? When you try to be good at 10 things, something is going to fall through the cracks. I barely have button sewing on skills, and I can cook but I have struggled to plan week's worth of meals and execute them, and I miss that. I miss it although I never had it. I miss what I think it would be like. I love all things feminine and I feel llike a part of my femininity is missing.

Let me tell you, the housewife start-up costs are pricey. It is a good thing I have a 8-5 to cover these expenses. I just started a sewing 101 class. I am also attempting this week to plan, shop for, and cook a full weeks worth of meals for myself and my husband, staying within weight watchers points, and with minimal food spoilage at the end of the week.

My first sewing project is a real sexy mu-mu like night shirt that has cost me just short of $100 bucks so far. Oh the damage that could've been done at Victoria's Secret with that. Le Sigh. But the learning experience will balance it out right? I am learning to fish, it'll feed me for a lifetime. hopefully I won't be stuck in mu-mu like night shirts for a lifetime. I will post pictures of this project shortly.

Also, my next post will be this week's menu. I know I am kind of late on this since it is Wednesday and we already had 2 days of the meals, but we will start now and continue next with a full week if all goes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment